Mass Adding Form for a Particular Set

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see while creating and editing my collection in MTG Studio...

Mass Adding Form for a Particular Set

Postby snakesoldier » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm

One problem I tend to run into is when I buy a new booster box, and suddenly I have a lot of cards to add to my collection.
Some of these cards I already own copies of, and others I don't.
If I already own copies of the card, I have to change the Quantity value in my collection.
If I don't already own copies of the card, I have to find the card in the card pool, add it, then adjust the Quantity value in my collection.
What would be nice is if it where possible to bring up a form that listed every card from a specific set (ie. Dark Ascension), and allowed you to enter a number for each card.
Once you've entered the numbers and submitted the form, the program would add any cards which you did not already own and would adjust the Quantity value for each card.
I hope this description makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't and I can try to reword it. I would really LOVE a feature like this, so that adding large numbers of cards to my collection wasn't such a chore. :)
snakesoldier
Apprentice

Re: Mass Adding Form for a Particular Set

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 am

Nice idea. What do you think should be the dialog about "Add Boosters":

1. Dropdown to select the Set
2. Grid with the list of cards ordered by their collector number
3. The grid will have the following columns:

No, Card Name, Type, Cost, Color, Rarity, Add Qty, Existing Qty, New Qty

No - the collector number of the card within the set
Card name - the name of the card as printed
Type - type line of the card
Cost - mana cost
Color - card color
Rarity - the card rarity
Add Qty - the number of new cards from the booster
Existing Qty - the total number of this card already available in the collection (no matter Foil, which Set, etc.)
New Qty = Add Qty + Existing Qty

Add Qty is the only editable column
New Qty is calculate column based on Add Qty and Existing Qty columns
all the rest are read only.

The option can be available in the Cards menu under the name "Add Boosters" and enabled only if "Collectin from Card Pool" mode is selected.

Ctrl + Up increases card qty
Ctrl + Down decreases card qty
Ctrl + 1, Ctrl + 2, Ctrl + 3, Ctrl + 4 - makes the card Qty respectively 1, 2, 3, 4.

The card name can be used to do incremental search by simply typing in the card name.

Let me know if this makes sense?
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 pm

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby texasaggie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Sounds good. One other suggestion is to allow adding quantity of zero as well. Since I collect, I want to add the whole set to my collection and be able to indicate the cards I have and still reflect the cards I am missing. As long as it will still add all the cards from a set, that should work out well.
texasaggie

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Wireframe:

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby texasaggie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm

That looks good (sorry for the delay in responding). The only other things I might suggest (hard to tell from the wireframe if they are) is to have the last 2 columns read only and to perhaps override default behavior on the quantity field so that as soon as I entered a number, I could go to the next field to add another number. If that field is the only one enterable/editable, it may work anyway. Since this is more a mass data entry screen, it should really be geared towards quick and easy entry.

You might also want a summary at the end of the number of cards being added (or one in the bottom part to the left of the buttons) or maybe just a popup/confirmation afterwards of the number added.

Nice wireframe by the way. Did you use a tool for that or do it by hand?
texasaggie

Postby B-Mann85 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 am

What I would want in something like this is a bit simpler...

Just choose the set in a drop-down menu, and add the cards as numbers of that set.
so you open a Dark Ascension booster:
DKA: 1,40,50,120,44,44,43,148,2,3
then check a box to add the cards to pre-existing card lines if they exist in your collection and done.

Need to add from more sets?
Just click a plus button and add a new line.

For trade you could just change the mode and have two frames, one for cards traded away, and the bottom for cards recieved in trade.
B-Mann85
Apprentice

Postby CptDobey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Beware: older sets do not have number printed on cards.
Please, note that I'm not a member of MtG-Studio team.
CptDobey

Postby Factor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:26 pm

I wish it was possible to have a bulk adding system like this:

Above there will be scroll down menu's so you can select the edition (sets) which is in my example set to 4th edition.
You can use the next scroll down menu to Show/filter: color/ artifact/lands (standard set to: All)
You can use the next scroll down menu to show/filter: rarity (standard set to: All)
You can use the next scroll down menu to choose between adding cards, or removing cards.

Changing the above parameters will then show you exactly what you want to modify.

On the left side you have your current collection/stock situation. On the right side you can fill in the numbers you want to add or remove.

As you can see, you now can easily add/remove cards in any condition you like. (Mint, Near Mint, Excellent, Good, Slightly Played, Played/bad)

When you think you ready filling in the numbers you would like to modify, you press ok.
Now all the numbers filled in on the right side will be added or deducted form your card collection/stock.

I hope more of you like the above idea.
I can't think of a faster way to add/modify entire series with the option of choosing the condition as well.
Which is to me (and many other people that like to sell there cards) very important.
Factor
Apprentice

Postby thmuench » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 am

Hi gaddlord,

will there come a feature to improve the speed of adding cards from pool to collection in case the card is already in the collection?
Whenever I add a card which is already there, I have to confirm it for each card again. When adding a large number of cards in multiples, this quickly becomes inefficient.
(it is for the scenario that I have a pile of cards in front of me, I sort them by colour and edition, and then want to enter them - I don't have a list or so, just the cards, and will go through them 1 by one)
thmuench
Apprentice

Return to Collection Suggestions (MTG Studio)