Helping out with new collections

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see while creating and editing my collection in MTG Studio...

Helping out with new collections

Postby tarzannazrat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible for us all to help out with new collections while gaddlord focuses on the functionality of the tool.

Seems like we could all benefit somehow if there was a way for us to pitch in.

My two cents.
tarzannazrat
Apprentice

Postby Azul » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see that as well. I guess the problem is that he charges for it so mistakes could be costly, and people would think it is unfair that they're doing the 'work' and not getting paid. Crowd-sourcing the database would be awesome though if it would give Gaddlord more time to work on real features.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby tarzannazrat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:22 pm

We could create them and Gaddlord could do the QA worse case.

I for one don't care about getting paid, I simply want to contribute as much as I can because of how great a product this is and how much I depend on it ;)
tarzannazrat
Apprentice

Postby Weevil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Agreed! I'd be more than happy to assist with populating the text portions of the database, including rarity, text, flavor, color, MC, CMC, etc. :-) As tarzannazrat stated, I depend on this tool quite a bit and don't like building decks from new sets until I have all my cards entered. :)
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby texasaggie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Agreed. I'd lend a hand as well.
texasaggie

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 am

I was thinking about this for quite a while. The way I see it is the following

- The best IMHO way to croudsource something is to use a wiki
- I create a wiki page called Missing Cards
- I create a template on our wiki for adding a new card
- People login and check if the card they spotted missing is already in the list
* if the card is missing they use the New Card template and fill as much details as they can
* if the card is already reported they check if all details for a card a added
- Gad D Lord constantly checks (through RSS subscription) are there cards which are 100% details complete and adds them to the card database
- Gad D Lord makes a Auto Update feature for the card database which allows you to update the card database as soon as new cards are available without needing to wait for another version of the software to be released.

Thoughts?
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby texasaggie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:20 am

Do any of the APIs that you use provide card detail retrieval in addition to price? That might help as well in getting accurate data.

I like the template idea and the wiki concept. I have a lot of oddball promo and token cards that aren't loaded and this would be an easy way for me to help get them there.

I very much like the idea of having something to pull cards without waiting for a full release. I see the problem being syncing going forward. If I have downloaded x updates and added them and then the next version comes out, will you overwrite or somehow merge the cards? I suppose the new version could include everything up to that date, so that you could safely replace someone's version without messing them up. Merging is a hard problem to solve so better to avoid it if possible.

Would you keep/show a changelog of what was added since the release version for cards? I don't see this as critical though. It would be overwritten with a new release if you provided a fresh database. I assume you'd have to keep some internal version numbering and force the updates to be sequential and showing that somewhere in an about screen may help debugging.

If you want to do a test with this, I've got a few promo and other cards that I could enter and test the process out with. Just let me know.
texasaggie

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:06 am

texasaggie wrote:Do any of the APIs that you use provide card detail retrieval in addition to price? That might help as well in getting accurate data.

I doubt it. External content is polluted with errors. Since those are card selling focused sites they do not really care fixing typos. Even magiccards.info rarely confirms a typo will be fixed. Our own database is 99% manually written and verified by a human which makes it almost the most accurate one.

I like the template idea and the wiki concept. I have a lot of oddball promo and token cards that aren't loaded and this would be an easy way for me to help get them there.
Try using this wiki page http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Missing_Cards

I very much like the idea of having something to pull cards without waiting for a full release. I see the problem being syncing going forward. If I have downloaded x updates and added them and then the next version comes out, will you overwrite or somehow merge the cards? I suppose the new version could include everything up to that date, so that you could safely replace someone's version without messing them up. Merging is a hard problem to solve so better to avoid it if possible.

The next full version will have all previous updates included so there will be no chance you miss and old update.

Would you keep/show a changelog of what was added since the release version for cards? I don't see this as critical though. It would be overwritten with a new release if you provided a fresh database. I assume you'd have to keep some internal version numbering and force the updates to be sequential and showing that somewhere in an about screen may help debugging.

No such plans for the time being. It will be way to time consuming to track down small changes like missing commas and new lines in rules.

If you want to do a test with this, I've got a few promo and other cards that I could enter and test the process out with. Just let me know.

In this case check out the new wiki page at http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Missing_Cards
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby texasaggie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:14 pm

gaddlord wrote:

In this case check out the new wiki page at http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Missing_Cards

I added a few cards that I had handy. Let me know if that is what you were looking for. I noticed you had left casting cost off, so I added that as well and updated the template at the top with it. You might want to update the instructions to make sure people specify the mana cost correctly (e.g. G or {G} for Green, ??? for Phyrexian Mana).
texasaggie

Postby gaddlord » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 am

Excellent. Somehow I omitted Casting Cost and Card Image Link fields. Please fill in Card Image Link fields marked in red as Missing in order to proceed with the data entry.

Thank you.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 am

NPH, DDG, and M12 tokens added to forthcoming 2.3 release.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby texasaggie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:49 pm

gaddlord wrote:Excellent. Somehow I omitted Casting Cost and Card Image Link fields. Please fill in Card Image Link fields marked in red as Missing in order to proceed with the data entry.

Thank you.

I added links to the card images for the remaining 4 that I had out there. If you need a clearer scan, I can scan the ones I have and send/post one.

Thanks for giving us a way to help out!
texasaggie

Postby gaddlord » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 am

Beast of Burden [Prerelease Foil Misprint] - Misprint cards are not supported in MTG Studio. Do you consider such valuable?

Rhox [Alternate Art] - the card is available. See Image

Code: Select all
Name: Rhox
Foreign Name:
Set: Promotional
Sub-Set: Starter 2000
Version:
Language: English
Foil: Yes
Cost: 4GG
Card Type: Creature - Beast
Power: 5
Toughness: 5
Rules: You may have Rhox deal combat damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked. 2G: Regenerate Rhox.
Flavor: None
Artist: Mark Zug
Collector No: 112a/143
Color: Green
Released: 2000
Notes: Come with the Magic: 2000 Starter Deck. Has a Nemesis set symbol.
Card Image Link: [2]
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby texasaggie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 am

gaddlord wrote:Beast of Burden [Prerelease Foil Misprint] - Misprint cards are not supported in MTG Studio. Do you consider such valuable?

I do but I understand the distinction.

gaddlord wrote:Rhox [Alternate Art] - the card is available. See Image

I didn't see this. Thanks.
texasaggie

Postby TheAndrian » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Hmm has the wiki page for Missing Cards been messed up? There are no samples like when it was launched.

Cheers
TheAndrian
Wizard
Wizard

Next

Return to Collection Suggestions (MTG Studio)