Small request. Typing into small search starts to auto serch

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see while creating and editing my collection in MTG Studio...

Small request. Typing into small search starts to auto serch

Postby Schwanke » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Hard to explain in title hehe.

That small search at the top of the main window. Right now you have to type in the entire name and hit enter and then if you typed it right it will go to the first one of that. If not then you get the noise.

Would I would love to see was if you start typing into that little box it 'keeps up with you'.

Type in S it goes to the S's.

Type in an e next and it jumps down to the Se's.

Set to Sets etc..

So that if you were searching for Wild Growth you might get it with Wild or Wild G and not have to type the rest of Growth in AND if you started to make a mistake and say typed something that didnt exist you would get the noise and not have to wait till the end of the entry and then wonder what you typed wrong. (Instant gratification in software is a good thing. :D)

Thats my dream anyway. I like variety. Sometimes when I am doing three or four cards I just go to the filter window and type all four cards into the OR with commas. Wheres if I am doing a ton of cards and I am just moving them from stack to stack on my desk I would use this cuz it would be faster.

Thanks!

Oh and dont think the modal filter is going to go to waste. Sometimes when I price if I am going to buy a booster box on ebay I open the filter and filter seperately on M/R, U, and C. And then tally the total divide by the number of cards in that list and then multiply by the number of cards in the booster. Do taht for each rarity and it gives me the average value of the booster box according to stuidio. Then I can decide if its a deal or not on ebay and bid accordingly.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:25 am

This type of searh I call incremental search. Incremental search is workivng within the card pool grid already.
1. Click over the card pool
2. Start typing wild growth and see what happens.

I will add to the todo list.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:16 pm

That does work! Awesome! Still think it would be better for the type in search to do it since I guess atleast I expected it to be there instead of the pool pane.

Very nice though because will make finding cards even faster. Be testing this soon probably. I'll have about 50 to 100 valuable rares and uncommons by the end of next week to catalog and I have about 1000 kinda cheezo uncommon's I'm curious about plus the uncommon's from 3.5 new boosters to think about. Lots of cards to add and at different rates and in different piles so be a good test across the board of the system I think.

Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 pm

The search within the card pool was there since at least 20 releases. I added the top Search field just for the sake of easing migrating users from other tools.

The incremental search within the card pool, deck, collection, editions in Filter and abilities is really the fastest way to navigate through cards.

1. Start typing Will to go to cards whose name start with Will
2. Press Ctrl+Up or Ctrl+Down to go to previous or next match.
3. Press Esc to cancel the current search term and start typing again.

As easy as that. I guess I should start recording video tuts soon ;)
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Was this in the help files? I guess maybe I should go familiarize myself with them. I always forget they are there.

Nice to know thats all there though. Definitely the quickest way. Helps a lot. Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to Collection Suggestions (MTG Studio)