Suggestions from a new user

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Suggestions from a new user

Postby Arknath » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:35 am

First off, Love the tool and the interface. REALLY makes it the best tool out there IMO.

Second, what about adding a play test ability to the tool section? Sort of like playing two decks against each other and seeing how they work? I know this can be done with the actual decks, but if i'm on my lunch break at work or want to test the decks without all the reshuffling and managing hands and what not.

Just something to think about. :)
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby digzor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:52 pm

what about adding a play test ability

I think Gad already has plans for something that does this. IIRC I think it's a new module, though don't quote me on that! ;)

If you hadn't known, though, there is already a hand generator built into the app (it'll create your starting hand).
Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
digzor

Postby Arknath » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Yeah! That's awesome...really good to figure out what my Land -> Spell ratio would look without shuffling 100 times...

Was just looking to see a little something more than the first hand...but that's great that he's planning that...
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby digzor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:07 pm

http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
That's the link to Necromancer (the play app). Looks like I was wrong about it being a module - it's its own separate app.

For the moment, you might want to look into MWS Play (MWS = magic workstation) or one of the other play apps. I'm sure Gad's will be great once he gets it done, but he's been putting forth TONS of effort into MTG Studio recently, so it looks like it'll be a while before Necromancer gets done.

One of the great things about getting MTG Studio done first is that it exports the decks into soooooo many different formats, you can use MTG Studio to build decks for most of the other play apps (note that he even has filters built into MTG Studio to limit you to the card pool that those apps use!).

One thing if you use MWS Play, it automates many FUNCTIONS for you, but it does almost no rule/play checking - so you'll have to know how things are supposed to play. I prefer this to MTGO as I am comfortable in my rules knowledge and don't want to be limited to the MTGO card pool. Also, I find MWS Play allows for more keyboard driven play than MTGO (though I do admit I haven't played MTGO much, so if it does have a method to be keyboard drive, I apologize!).
digzor

Postby gaddlord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Yes we plan to start with a simple play test scenario. Than introduce ability to play peer-to-peer multiplayer, than multiplayer on a central server and finally multiplayer with rule checks.

It will be a module in MTG Studio 2.x.

Unfortunately this module would come last since we have much more requests on deck editing and collection modules.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Arknath » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:17 pm

wow...really cool stuff. Yeah, I'll check those apps out and see how i like them...

Seriously..at $20 this is already a bargain...I think you've got something good here gad...I do agree about the need for cataloging first, though...I've been playing for 12 years and I've got over 15,000 cards...i dunno what i got!!! :D
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby Arknath » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Another suggestion or question (you decide!)

Are you going to support importing card database files from other programs like Suitcase or Workstation? I have suitcase now (pain in the A) and i was putting cards in until I found your app. I thought I'd wait until yours came out to continue my cataloging efforts, but I will suffer through suitcase if you plan on being able to import their files (I think they use mdb, so shouldn't be too exotic, me thinks).

Also, In the release notes for 1.5.7, I saw something to the effect of "theme" decks? Does that mean that the app already has the prebuilt decks inside them so that I could load them up and rebuild my prebuilts? I'm teaching a bunch of new players and would like to put together my prebuilt decks for them to play and this would be a BIG help.
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby digzor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Arknath wrote:Does that mean that the app already has the prebuilt decks inside them so that I could load them up and rebuild my prebuilts?

If you run the install and select to install the decks, the application installs an ungodly amount of prebuilt decks (I mean that in a nice way!). I don't remember if all the theme decks are installed there, though, considering how thorough Gad is, I'd assume they are. If not - you can always download the precon decks from slightlymagic.net and then import them into mtg studio (they are in mwdeck format on slightlymagic.net).
digzor

Postby Arknath » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:01 am

I did the full install. I can't seem to find where they are located. Any help?
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:39 am

I did the full install. I can't seem to find where they are located. Any help?

Just open them from your startup menu Start|Programs|PalmROOT|MTG Studio|My Decks.
Last edited by gaddlord on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:40 am

e you going to support importing card database files from other programs like Suitcase or Workstation?

Currently MTG Studio has support for importing Magic Suitcase and Magic Workstation decks.

In the future support for Suitcase and Workstation inventories will also be added.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Arknath » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:20 am

Just to clarify for my slow brain...

I can start cataloging in Suitcase and when 2.0 (or whatever version of Studio supports inventory/catalogs) I will be able to import my Suitcase inventory? Just wanted to be sure before I spend the time cataloging (and it will be TIME!) cataloging.

Also, here's some stuff you might think about for 2.0 (if you haven't already):

- Live inventory update during deck building. Basically you have an "available" inventory column and a "total" inventory column and the available increases/decreases with the use of a particular card in a deck. Useful if you want to keep several decks ready to play and you don't want to have to pull X number of cards out of one deck to put them in another.

- Collected status. I dunno if this would be as useful but I'm a collector/player (i know...a glutton for punishment). I actually use proxies for mint cards and i keep the mints in acetate sheets in three-ring binders and would like to know that "Ok, this card is actually in my 'collector's bin' so I would need a proxy for it,blahblahblah".

Just a few ideas...I'm a programmer (well...web developer) myself and features are my life...so, I think alot. :)

enough of my rambling
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Yes we plan support for Suitcase Inventory Import for 2.0.
Keep in mind that this feature is not currently 100% explored.

Live inventory update during deck building

For now we don't plan binding a single deck with the Inventory

Collected status. I dunno if this would be as useful but I'm a collector/player (i know...a glutton for punishment). I actually use proxies for mint cards and i keep the mints in acetate sheets in three-ring binders and would like to know that "Ok, this card is actually in my 'collector's bin' so I would need a proxy for it,blahblahblah".

I didn't quite get it. Can you explain what feature you need.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Arknath » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Certainly.

One thing that would be useful is a "checklist" or some such feature that would tell you what cards you have from a set and what cards you don't (could be that the card names are "dimmed", like an unavailable option to a Windows configuration interface or some other way). This would help collectors like me.

Granted, the part you didn't understand from the previous post could easily be remedied by my personal system (if I only have 1 of the card, it's in my binders) instead of creating functionality around it, but I do think the checklist idea (if it already hasn't been on the list of features for 2.0...admittedly I looked a while back and may have forgotten) would be very useful.

Clear as mud? :)
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Actually such checklist can be created as reports over the Inventory.
Once you have described all your belongings you can view the availability by editions. Does it sound reasonable?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Next

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)