Couple of suggestions from a new user [INCOMPLETE]

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Couple of suggestions from a new user [INCOMPLETE]

Postby Scytale » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:32 am

SUGGESTIONS:
- Notepad: Make it non-modal. Allow us to use the card list whilst the Notepad is open
- Deck notes: Allow for free form text notes against a specific deck
- Right click on a card: Go to Gatherer
- In a deck allow for a Wanted/Wished For section, i.e. we want to put it in the deck but we need to get our hands on it. This would then form a Wish list but you could see which deck needs it
- In the overall card list, allow us to flag cards we no longer want to see in list. This is far easier than managing a huge filter
- Picture lineup: Ability to see all the different art/editions from one card, aka which [CENSORED] version do I actually have!

BUGS:
- Clicking on the first card "1996 ..." also shows Arena
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 am

Notepad: Make it non-modal. Allow us to use the card list whilst the Notepad is open

Deck notes: Allow for free form text notes against a specific deck

What do you mean by free form.

Right click on a card: Go to Gatherer

Right clicking on a card currently opens a context menu. I dont think going to Gatherer is much of a benefit.

- In a deck allow for a Wanted/Wished For section, i.e. we want to put it in the deck but we need to get our hands on it. This would then form a Wish list but you could see which deck needs it

MTG Studio will have this additional Wish column

- In the overall card list, allow us to flag cards we no longer want to see in list. This is far easier than managing a huge filter

MTG Studio 2.0 will allow flaging cards from the card pool

- Picture lineup: Ability to see all the different art/editions from one card, aka which [CENSORED] version do I actually have!

Could you clarify this. What exactly you mean by picture lineup.

BUGS:
- Clicking on the first card "1996 ..." also shows Arena

This is a Wizards problem since the images are downloaded from their site. It seems that they have uploaded the Arena image named as 1996 World Champion.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:45 am

Deck notes: Allow for free form text notes against a specific deck

It would be nice to be able to write some notes about a specific deck, e.g. Remember to take out card X, needs the land balanced etc

What exactly you mean by picture lineup.

Take Raise Dead as an example. It has been reprinted over the years with numerous different artworks. Often the difference from one edition to another is the way the text is laid out.

Some of us :oops: cannot instantly tell the difference between a fourth edition and revised addition. At present it means clicking back and forth between in the card list waiting for the cards to load. It would be great to have the option to show all the pictures in a row.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:
- Drag drop between decks, e.g. move a card out of one deck and into another
- Local cache: Allow the pictures to be saved in a local cache for faster loading times. Perhaps also set a disk limit on the size of the cache
- Mana production vs Mana Consumption: In the Manaanalyser, show how much of each colour mana is produced

PS Truly awesome tool!! These suggestions are useability features to make a collectors life much easier :D
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 am

It would be nice to be able to write some notes about a specific deck, e.g. Remember to take out card X, needs the land balanced etc

This feature is available if you work on MTG Studio, Magic Workstation or Apprentice decks. Look in the Deck Properties dialog for Description field.

It would be great to have the option to show all the pictures in a row.

Hmm this is interesting idea to show a thumbnail preview of all reprints. I will consider it.

Drag drop between decks, e.g. move a card out of one deck and into another

This feature is available by using Cut/Copy/Paste menus to copy cards between decks.
A real drag and drop can be done in the future.

Local cache: Allow the pictures to be saved in a local cache for faster loading times. Perhaps also set a disk limit on the size of the cache

This request is a surprise to me since MTG Studio caches locally the downloaded card art from Internet to {MTG Studio Installation Folder}\Card Art\WotC.

Mana production vs Mana Consumption: In the Manaanalyser, show how much of each colour mana is produced

This feature is planned for version 2.0.

PS Truly awesome tool!! These suggestions are useability features to make a collectors life much easier

Thanks. We are open to any suggestion. Thanks for your comments.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:43 am

This feature is available if you work on MTG Studio, Magic Workstation or Apprentice decks. Look in the Deck Properties dialog for Description field.

Again this is modal, so you cannot work on the deck and keeps notes on it at the same time.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Again this is modal, so you cannot work on the deck and keeps notes on it at the same time.

I don't see any use of being non-model since editing the deck properties takes usually less than 1% of your time.

In the future there will be an additional column notes where you can put your card notes in for each card in your deck or any card from the card pool.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:27 am

In the future there will be an additional column notes where you can put your card notes in for each card in your deck or any card from the card pool.

I guess its very much at deck construction time or after a game you want to put ideas and I agree that its very much a nice-to-have :D

SUGGESTION:
The ability to lock a single deck so that you cannot accidentally add or remove cards.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 am

The ability to lock a single deck so that you cannot accidentally add or remove cards.

Such feature is planned for version 2.0. The protected decks will have a Lock icon in the tabs.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:06 pm

I am sorry to disappoint you but I decided not to include this feature since it will make the internal deck management harder (having to close this screen when the deck is closed from Files menu, showing the Deck Properties form in the task bar and having to switch between the windows.)

MTG Studio is Single Document Interface program without floating forms. I would like to keep this look and feel.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:47 am

I am sorry to disappoint you but I decided not to include this feature since it will make the internal deck management harder

I guess there are two issues here (1) currently using the Notepad to keep comments; wish lists, cards to buy, cards to add etc and (2) the Notepad takes 9-10 seconds to open. Option 1 is resolved through the card pool and being able to tag cards. Its the second point that really makes me wish to have it model or as a tab panel to replace the card preview, I just can't stand to close it knowing it will take another 9-10 seconds to open
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:41 pm

OK. I got your point. Actually the Notepad is slow due to loading the whole distinct list of card names in the for auto completion of the card name.

I think I can make Notepad open in less than half a second and load the card names for as a background job after displaying the dialog.

What you think? Apart from that adding Notes column to the card pool and deck is also in my TODO list. If you insist I can increase its priority?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:17 am

Personally I never even noticed the auto completion for card names :shock: If this feature background loads and speeds up the notepad loading, then this would be a big win for me personally.

Priority wise I could see this notepad change as a suitable interim solution whilst time is taking to get the Notes column in the card pool and deck.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 am

Actually I intend to make some changes in the Notepad
1. Rename it to Notes [ALREADY DONE]
2. Remove it from the Tools menu and add it to Cards menu
3. Add a shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N for opening it [ALREADY DONE]
4. Remove all MTG Studio card notes from Notes.txt and leave Notes.txt only for end-user card comments.
5. Whenever the Notes dialog is called only the selected card's notes to be loaded and automatically saved upon dialog close
6. Remove the card autocompletion combobox since it would not be necessary
7. Add Notes column to the Card Pool and Deck which displays the first X symbols of the notes and has ... Button which when pressed opens the Notes dialog and loads the selected card notes
8. Add a new field in the .mtgs decks called Notes which to store the notes for a card in the deck
9. Attach the same dialog to the Notes column in the Collection to edit the collection card notes.
Last edited by gaddlord on Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:47 am

This sounds very nice.

Its come a long way from some technie saying 'non-modal please' :)

PS Could I have my Forum registered user fixed (see the PM)?
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:38 pm

Its come a long way from some technie saying 'non-modal please'

That's exactly what this forum is about. :wink: You wouldn't believe how long is my MTG Studio TODO list (more than 20 pages, where each row is a separate feature).

PS Could I have my Forum registered user fixed (see the PM)?

Done.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)