Column Filter Menu Enhancements

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Column Filter Menu Enhancements

Postby gaddlord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:46 pm

The filter menu in the column headers have been enhanced to contain more common Magic filters. For example the Cost column now has the following filters:

1. Most recently used on the top
2. (All) - removes the filter by Cost
3. (Custom) - shows a custom filtering dialog
4. White Mana, Blue Mana, ..., No Mana, Hybrid Mana, Snow Mana - common Magic filters (this is new)
5. List of all possible mana costs for all cards.

Such "common Magic filters" are available for almost all card pool columns
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby digzor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Will the color filters allow for limiting exact matches when doing multi colored cards?

For instance: if I'm building a R/B deck, I would want to see cards that contain R symbols only, B Symbols Only, R/B (hybrid) symbols only, or any combination thereof, but not ones that include any other symbols (colorless mana costs not counted as a "symbol" in this case).

I would like it to be a toggled option - so we could limit the matches when it's important, but also include other colors on multi cards when we have alternative methods of playing the cards so that the symbols won't matter as much (like Sneak Attack, Elvish Piper, Cryptic Gateway, etc).
Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
digzor

Postby gaddlord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:57 pm

For such "advanced" cases I recommend using the Filter Builder which can allow you to make really very complax filters using a visual interface.

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby digzor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Ah, I haven't played with the advanced filters much (most of the stuff I would advance filter off of wasn't working in the current version - the text box).

I recall seeing you were planning at some point to implement SQL queries against the database, will this be in v2.0 release or some other v2.x?
Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
digzor

Postby gaddlord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:31 pm

I recall seeing you were planning at some point to implement SQL queries against the database, will this be in v2.0 release or some other v2.x?

This feature sounds easy to implement but actually it is not. Here are the reasons:
1. you will have the ability to type an SQL in, but what do you expect to do with the output. It can't be used as a card pool for example since anyone can run the "select count(1) from Cards" which returns nothing but a number.
I will allow running such commands but the only thing you will be able to do with the result output will be to view it in a grid and export it in different formats.

2. only very advanced users will be interested in this feature and most of them will use it just to play with. Deck building in real life does not require such skills.

3. In order to match the MTG Studio user experience I would need to write a SQL parser and highlighter which I tend not to be fond of. I know there a re lots of third party components and libararies but I really hate to use third party components if the vendor company is not well distinguished and offers good support.

4. It would require a way to visualize at least a list of the tables and their columns and data types in order to gain knowledge of the Card Pool database structure

5. Last but not least I am not by far sure wether that such feature can open the door for the "funny" guys who pretend to be hackers, crackers, etc. I have devoted 5 years of my life to manually enter more than 18'000 cards , spell check them, organize and check their integrity. I am not sure whether it is worth risking for those 1% users which have the SQL-skills and willingness to write raw queries against the card pool.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)