Inventory Database

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Inventory Database

Postby Ouronos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:05 pm

Greetings...

I don't know if this idea was brought up before, but I thought it worthy of another mention if it was.

I would like to see some type of Inventory Database incorporated into MtG Studio - it would most likely have to be done in MtG Studio 2.0, but it it somehow managed to find its way into the current version, I wouldn't complain.

What is Inventory Databasing you ask? (I know you did, Gad, admit it...)

Simple.

Rather than building decks out of the entire database of cards (or entire sets), it would filter the cards based upon what has been indicated as your collection (or inventory).

If done this way, several other ideas come to mind:

1 - Import/Export of Inventory.
This permits you to Export a list of the cards in your inventory (saved in various formats, in fact... perhaps Excel, Access, Word, or other varients of databases and printable lists).

You could also have different Inventories to use and choose from. One inventory for your MtG Online account (or several MtGO inventories for those with multiple accounts); one inventory for your personal collection; another inventory out of strictly cards for trade; and perhaps another inventory that was imported from Shadalar (for those of us that still play it).

If this is done, then the user could choose which collection to use (or none at all, in which case the entire database is used). These collections could still be subject to the "standard" filters, or special filters, as the case may be.

Utilizing an import feature would allow the user to (for instance) build a deck in Shandalar, or MtgO, export it, and then have it recognized by MtG Studio when it comes to deckbuliding.

Keep in mind that this will help immensly with the "Sealed Deck Generator" that is being worked on. The function could create the cards from the Sealed Deck, export it as a Collection, and this way when it comes to creating a deck with it, it becomes easy to know which cards you have from the Sealed Deck (since the ones you don't have won't even be listed).

2 - Deck Checking
This feature would permit you to specify certain rules or restrictions that need to be met and determine if the deck created is legal within those strictures and perhaps even tell you why it is not.

Example: Build a deck with only commons. Build a deck with at least 250 cards. Build a deck with no rares, no artifacts, and at least 10 cards of each color (counting multi-color cards as one of each color).

This can allow special tournaments to be created (in real life, or an online environment) and makes for an easy way to check to see if the deck is "legal" in that format.

3 - Enhanced printing options
The ability to print the list in color, for example - perhaps the same colors that the cards are printed in on screen. This would make it a simple matter to simply view which cards of which color you might have, or be looking for in your real collection.

Other Enhanced printing options:
= thumbnail card printing. Just to give a small visual of the card. Probably with just picture and card name.
= contact sheet. This would print a list of cards on a contact sheet (probably 3x3) with Card Name, Card Art, but no text (or maybe with text, since printing the JPG would be easier than making another copy of each JPG without text). This would make it a simple matter to: print proxy cards (for deck testing), print binder card sheets (these are sheets that would go behind the plastic card protectors of a three ring binder... if there are no cards of that type in the binder, you would have a clear view of which card you were looking to put there.
= "away from computer" visual aid.

Thanks for hearing me out, Gad. I hope some of these ideas are new to you; I hope that all these ideas are worthy of your consideration.

(See - I really was paying attention to what I was doing since registering your product last year!)

Until that time...
-Sir Gawain Ouronos

The Rose may wilt...
...but cannot die.
...for The Rose doth live in us all.
Ouronos

Postby gaddlord » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Yep, this Invetory feature will be present in MTG Studio 2.0.

1 - Import/Export of Inventory.
This permits you to Export a list of the cards in your inventory (saved in various formats, in fact... perhaps Excel, Access, Word, or other varients of databases and printable lists).

I plan supporting HTML, TXT, CSV, Excel, PDF, XML, MTH for the start.
I the future Access, Paradox and SQL Server CE can be added too.

You could also have different Inventories to use and choose from.

Currently I plan starting with only one loaded inventory at a time.

Import will be available for all Magic deck formats + Magic Workstation .inventory format and Magic Library inventories.

2 - Deck Checking

You will be able to check if all necessary for a deck cards are available in the inventory. The other check you mentioned will be part of the Deck Legality checks.

The ability to print the list in color, for example - perhaps the same colors that the cards are printed in on screen. This would make it a simple matter to simply view which cards of which color you might have, or be looking for in your real collection

There will be such row highlightning

thumbnail card printing. Just to give a small visual of the card. Probably with just picture and card name.

Such feature is planned. It is called Print Proxies.

away from computer" visual aid

What do you mean?

Read the Collection (aka Inventory) section in out MTG Studio 2.0 feature matrix at http://www.mtgstudio.com/features.aspx#version20 and of course or dedicated Inventory topic at http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)