Inventory - suggestions

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Postby faded8755 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:38 am

hmmm... how about having a more thorough way of arranging the cards?
uhmm.. i'm having a hard time explaining this..
hmmm.. do you play final fantasy tactics..?
the way that game allows you to sort things.. in this case cards..
is i think a big help..
hmm.. i'm confusing ain't i?

for example.. i want to arrange the cards accdg to CMC... and then by editions.. so if i press the CMC tab, and the Edition tab, it will show all cards arranged by edition, and the cards by edition are arranged by CMC..

what i'm trying to suggest is a way to sort cards accdg to priority..
faded8755

Postby Loki Stormrunner » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:24 pm

i think i understand what yo're saying and if i do then it's already in there...

for example, open your MTGS... go to the card pool and click on the editions column to sort them... then shift-click the cmc column to further sort by that
Loki Stormrunner

Postby faded8755 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:31 pm

ohhh.. shift click..?? now i didn't know that.. thanks.. i'll try it later..

*silly me*
faded8755

Re: Highlight deck agains Inventory

Postby cynip » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:29 pm

gaddlord wrote:I suggest the cards in the deck to be highlighted agains the quantity of the cards available in the inventory

I don't think that's necessary
if the way how MTGS will work is like MWS, you can immediately tell how many copies you've got by viewing the inventory panel. (which is right above/besides the deck list)

I'd rather look up than looking at a colorful decklist, which is already very colorful due to displaying card color.
cynip
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:19 am

MTG Studio 2.0 will have the option to choose how the Card Pool/Deck rows are highlighted:

• By Card Color
• By Card Rarity
• By block
• If legal for Standard
• If legal for Extended
• If legal for Legacy
• If legal for Vintage
• If available in MTG Online
• If available in MTG Interactive Encyclopedia
• highlight against edition
• highlight against Collection availability
• highlight agains Card Art availability
• highlight against Shandalar availability
• highlight against MWS availability
• highlight against MSC avalability
• highlight whether the card is the last reprint or it has a newer reprint
• highlight against the card Language
• highlight against release year

By default "highlight by color" will be selected.

What you suggest though is quite usefull. I definetely will add it to the TODO list.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Uncle Spooky » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:15 am

Requests:

Add rarity colum to collection.

Allow search filtering to work on collection.

Allow multiple fields in the collection to be updated in one operation, eg I highlight fifteen cards who's condition I want to change in one step rather than 15... so I highlight the cards and edit one of the fields and that change is applied to all the highlighted cards

Ultimately I'd like to see the collection replace the full sets in the top window and our decks to continue to appear in the bottom window - that way we are using MTG Studio as we always have except that we are working on the subset of cards which we own.

There should be some way to track cards we own but which are in use in decks such that should we be filtering our collection we can see we have own a card but it's in use - we should be able to filter out cards that are in use in decks.

I'd like to see price data attached to cards in the collection - perhaps a new column but also totals.

Cheers,

Mark
Uncle Spooky
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Add rarity column to collection.

Planned.
Already a fact in version 1.7.1.

Allow search filtering to work on collection.

Planned.
Already a fact in version 1.7.1

Allow multiple fields in the collection to be updated in one operation, eg I highlight fifteen cards who's condition I want to change in one step rather than 15... so I highlight the cards and edit one of the fields and that change is applied to all the highlighted cards

This so called "Batch Update" is planned for the future.

Ultimately I'd like to see the collection replace the full sets in the top window and our decks to continue to appear in the bottom window - that way we are using MTG Studio as we always have except that we are working on the subset of cards which we own.

I am aware of the fact that this would be more convenient. I plan to introduce a new module "Deck from Collection" along with the already existing "Deck from Card Pool" and "Collection from Card Pool".

There should be some way to track cards we own but which are in use in decks such that should we be filtering our collection we can see we have own a card but it's in use - we should be able to filter out cards that are in use in decks.

There can be a a new column called "Used" but it will not be automatically updated since MTG Studio has no way to be aware of the decks you may have.
There is such column in version 1.7.1.

I'd like to see price data attached to cards in the collection - perhaps a new column but also totals

Planned.
Last edited by gaddlord on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Uncle Spooky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 am

gaddlord wrote:There should be some way to track cards we own but which are in use in decks such that should we be filtering our collection we can see we have own a card but it's in use - we should be able to filter out cards that are in use in decks.
There can be a a new column called "Used" but it will not be automatically updated since MTG Studio has no way to be aware of the decks you may have.

Well... I do all my deck building in MTG Studio - and the program knows the filename of the deck I have opened... If once we get to the point where the software is able to show our collection (in the top half) and the deck we are building in the bottom half, then when we double click on a card or otherwise assign it to the deck the software could remember the filename for card?

I suppose that would need to support multiple entries for multiple decks...

Much simpler I suppose, and tied to my suggestion in another thread, is that we simply track the quantity of cards: two fields - Qty Owned, Qty Available - Qty Owned is the total number of that card we own and Qty Available goes up and down as cards are moved into and out of decks??

Mark
Uncle Spooky
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:26 pm

I am not willing to support any deck-collection relation since
1. the decks can be located on removable media such as CD, USB, etc.
2. there are users which have hundreds of decks and it will take long time to read them and compare against collection
3. I don't see any clear way to track down which copy of the card is used in which deck.

I am willing to add "Used" column but it will up to the user to change its value.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Uncle Spooky » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I understand. But I do feel it's a shame not to attempt to track card usage, even as a simple counter which goes up and down as you add/remove cards from decks withing MTG Studio. I cannot be the only person who builds all my decks using MTG Studio and this counter would be invaluable to me as I wouldn't need to dig through my tens of thousands of cards to find out whether or not I had one available for a deck I'm building...

Mark
Uncle Spooky
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 pm

I don't see any scenario in which this is achievable

1. How MTG Studio can distinguish between decks you own and those from Internet community you open to have a look at.

This number of used cards can go out of sync any time a deck is deleted from your disk (for example from Windows Explorer), edited in an external editor, etc.

I am really aware of the fact that this feature can be of great value for the deck builders but just try to think how it can be done in a systematic way starting from creating a deck, adding/removing cards, adding/removing collection cards, and so forth.

No one (as far as I know) has achieved this yet (even MTG Online).
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Counting Cards

Postby Ouronos » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:54 am

Greetings...

Hey, Gad -

I thought that I would chime in on this conversation with a possible work-around and suggestion.

In order to facilitate "card counting" and being able to auto-adjust "used" column, is it possible to have a way to flag a deck as "active" (or "used" or some such flag?")

If so, then the "used" counter can automatically update based upon the "active" decks *that are open at the time*. The flag could be set to a "not active" ("not used"? "just looking'? "no"?) setting, so that when you open a deck to view it (from the internet, for example), it wouldn't adjust the "used" column.

I would imagine that this field would be set in the "info" part of the deck, or perhaps a checkbox could be added to the screen (under the "filter", perhaps)?

I know that this (counting cards vs. collection) is a very complicated and tricky affair. While it would be very useful, I feel your trepidation and understand the difficulty in attempting to figure out a way to implement this particular requested feature.

Does anyone else have any other (better) ideas on how this can be achieved to help poor Gad out?

Until that time...
Until that time...
-Sir Gawain Ouronos

The Rose may wilt...
...but cannot die.
...for The Rose doth live in us all.
Ouronos

Postby Uncle Spooky » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:56 am

gaddlord wrote:I don't see any scenario in which this is achievable

1. How MTG Studio can distinguish between decks you own and those from Internet community you open to have a look at.

The card count is only altered by operations within MTG Studio, eg adding cards to collections; moving cards to and from decks. It is then up to the user to only build/edit decks with MTG studio if they want accurate numbers? Browsing external decks should NOT affect these numbers unless the user deliberately moved cards (there could be a popup to verify).

I'd also like to see an "import to collection" option which would read an existing deck file and add the cards to my collection. That way I could quickly add cards I currently have in decks.

This number of used cards can go out of sync any time a deck is deleted from your disk (for example from Windows Explorer), edited in an external editor, etc.

This is unfortunately true. But how many users edit MTG Studio decks outside of the software? I don't. If all deck editing is done inside MTG Studio this shouldn't be an issue?

I am really aware of the fact that this feature can be of great value for the deck builders but just try to think how it can be done in a systematic way starting from creating a deck, adding/removing cards, adding/removing collection cards, and so forth.

No one (as far as I know) has achieved this yet (even MTG Online).

I think if the counting is done only on operations inside MTG Studio then it could actually work. There would need to be a documented warning not to edit outside of MTG Studio. I think it should be simple enough to implement a card count that it's worth giving it a go?

Mark
Uncle Spooky
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:56 am

And still I don't see this feature applicable.

But lets look it the other way around :idea:

Based on the card quantity of the currently opened decks, MTG Studio can sum the number of copies used in the decks and show the total number of copies (of lets say "Terror"-s) used in the decks. This is not so difficult to achieve.

Also have in mind that the Terror card can be present not on one but many rows in the Collection (assume you have 3 Mint and 10 Near Mint) copies. And you have used 5 copies of Terror in your decks. You will have the following picture in the collection grid:
Code: Select all
Card     Quality           Qty       Used in Decks
Terror   Mint              3         5
Terror   Near Mint         10        5

What do you think?

NOTE: Do not forget that this will work for the currently opened decks,.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Uncle Spooky » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:26 pm

The problem I see with that approach is that, for it to be of use, I'd have to have ALL my decks open in order for MTG Studio to see which cards are in use?

If we use my idea of simply adding one to the count when we put a card in the collection (either directly or from a deck) and subtracting one from the count when we put a card into a deck or delete a card we get a more useful figure than showing cards in use in open decks?

To handle users deleting/editing/adding decks outside of MTG Studio there could be a card audit option. MTG Studio would always know the original QTY of cards in the collection - doing an audit would examine all user decks in the deck directory and update the QTY based on the cards in the decks.

MTG Studio could even detect when files have changed externally since the software was last used and suggest an audit is necessary.

???

Mark
Uncle Spooky
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

PreviousNext

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)