Inventory - suggestions

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Postby gaddlord » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:32 pm

I think I am finally close the a solution.

What you say about a new screen called "My Decks" where you can
1. Add/Remove decks from your local disk by selecting them from an Open Dialog

If you add or remove decks to the "My Decks" the number of cards used in the decks is added/subtracted from the collection "Used in Decks" column.

Whenever MTG Studio starts if checks if each deck in "My Decks" is still present on disk. If not a warning message is displayed in the Messages window and the decks is removed from the list.

The "Used in Decks" column in the Collection is run-time evaluated by loading the "My Decks" at MTG Studio startup. The value will NOT be stored in the mtgstudio.collection file since it is always run-time evaluated.

MTG Studio "listens" while decks are being edited if the Last Modified timestamp of a deck has been changed and reevaluates the "Used in Decks".

Any comments?
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Uncle Spooky » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Perfect!

Mark
Uncle Spooky
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Scytale » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:07 am

Here is an alternative thought:

> A deck is a just a fixed, filtered view upon the Collection.

- Everything could stay in a Collection.
- A card in the Collection has an Held-In-Deck field
- A Deck would hold the meta-data such as author, date created, name, etc.
- The Deck Editor is a filtered view upon Collection
- Adding a card to the 'Deck', simply adds it to the Collection with the - Deck-Name automatically defaulted.
- Moving a card from the Collection to a Deck is as simple as renaming a field
- The Collection already supports having multiple rows of the same card, to indicate that similiarly named may be in a Deck(s) and some copies in the Collection
- The Deck will benefit from being from the new Collection columns
MTG studio version: 1.6.6.2461 + updated hfw
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:01 am

A deck is a just a fixed, filtered view upon the Collection.

As a whole this does not seem right to me.
What about viewing decks what are not your own. When being opened and since you don't have those cards in your Collection the deck will be filtered as empty.
A deck is a deck is a filtered card pool.
A collection is a filtered card pool.
Any other combination is not possible.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:03 am

I would like to keep the discussion on this alive as I think it is very worth while as it discusses the core relationship between decks and collections.

----------------------------

I believe that if a Deck is a filtered view of a Collection then opening a Deck that does not belong to you is viewing a Deck from someone elses Collection. This would require a basic Export / Import feature for part(s) of a Collection but this is something that has already been requested.

When viewing the Deck you have two choices, (1) state that it is not in your Collection thus you are looking at a new collection or (2) state that it is part of your Collection and import it.

If you worked purely with the Collection then you automatically gain all of the columns (which people are now asking for) and it would solve many of the issues about transfering a card from your Collection to your Deck.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:05 pm

I really don't see any point in this. What your collection has to do with a filtered subset of someone else's collection (aka deck).

If the question is about the missing columns from the card pool in the collection and deck view, than fine - I will add them. But I would really go to the path that a deck is a subset of card pool cards. A collection is a subset of card pool cards. Even one of your decks can contain a card that you are just planning to buy but you wish to playtest with.

Sorry, I would not implement a deck <-> collection relation this way. I seems unnatural to me.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby dryan01uk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Gaddlord,

Just caught up with this thread, and perhaps I'm missing the point of the previous discussions, but I fully agree with your take on this issue.

As far as I can see, I will primarily use MTGS to manage my card collection and build decks from it. All I need in the deck view is a column that allows me to see if the card is in my collection or not.

I can do everything else I need from a general notes or free text memo field - such as logging where my cards are or which deck they are currently in.

I personally think MTGS is taking great strides forward with each build - I can't wait to see the MWS inventory import function implemented so that I can remove my reliance on that program.

Just my 2 cents worth.

D
dryan01uk

Postby gaddlord » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:13 pm

As far as I can see, I will primarily use MTGS to manage my card collection and build decks from it. All I need in the deck view is a column that allows me to see if the card is in my collection or not.

OK. This sounds reasonable. I guess a column Available in the Deck Grid can be added to show the amount of that specific cards available in the collection. Should it be set-insensitive (Terror from 10E to be counted as Terror from 4E?) I think yes.

I can't wait to see the MWS inventory import function implemented so that I can remove my reliance on that program.

Be sure to check http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... =3080#3080

Just my 2 cents worth.

Always happy to take some ;)
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby dryan01uk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Gaddlord,

I'm equivocal on whether the interface flags a card as being set sensitive or not.

When ever I build decks for Standard, I like using older versions of the card (hey - I Like the old card face...). I use the legality column to check if the card is type legal or not.

Thinking about it, it would be pretty nifty to know how many 'Terrors' I had in all the different sets, but its not essential.

Cheers

D
dryan01uk

Postby Scytale » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 am

I totally agree. At present I have really held off doing anything with the collection features of MTGS as I have all the information in Decks.

My standard actions would be:

1. Update Collection with existing Decks (either manual through Import or automatic by MTGS)
2. Mark cards in a 'Wanted' deck as Needed in the Collection
3. Add card from Collection to Deck, decrease Excess quantity in Collection, increase quantity in Deck
4. Remove card from Deck to Collection, decrease quantity in Deck, increase quantity in Collection
5. View full Collection with cards both in Decks and in Collection
6. Some way to indicate that a card is a Wish/Want card for a particular Deck
Scytale

Postby dvrobin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 pm

OK. This sounds reasonable. I guess a column Available in the Deck Grid can be added to show the amount of that specific cards available in the collection. Should it be set-insensitive (Terror from 10E to be counted as Terror from 4E?) I think yes.

I'm looking in 1.6.7 and I don't see this feature in there. Has this been implemented and I'm just missing something? I'm asking because I'm trying to quickly compare a deck that someone gave me to see which cards I have and which cards I need. This feature would be awesome!
dvrobin
Apprentice

Postby starstremr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 am

is there away to add your own custom column in the deck from pool area? like a box that you can check have don't have.

so if a person makes a wish deck they can check off cards as they get them.

Thanks
starstremr

Previous

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)