Inventory - suggestions

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Inventory - suggestions

Postby gaddlord » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:28 am

Inventory

Post here all of your suggestions about how you wish MTG Studio Inventory to look like.

Q: Inventory. What is it?
A: This is you collection of magic cards - all cards you posess.

Q: Do I need Inventory?
A: Many of the MTG Studio users required that feature because they wanted to keep track of the number, quality, price of their cards

Q: Will the Inventory be a separate tool or ...?
A: The Invantory will be an in-build feature of MTG Studio deck editor. It will be available a new Menu called "Inventory"

Q: Can I save my inventory?
A: Yes, you will be able to save and load your inventory in an XML (text based) format. The extension for the filename will be *.inventory or just *.inv

Q: Will there be a multiple inventory support?
A: Yes. You may have as many inventories as you like.

Q: Can I import my old Magic Workstation inventory or Magic Library inventory or perhaps my MTGIE inventory?
A: Yes.

Q: What else an Inventory can offer?
A: Print, Print Preview, Grouping, Sorting, Filtering, Import, Export, etc.

Q: Can I build a deck directly from the Inventory?
A: Yes. By new menu items "Add Inventory Card to Deck", "Replace from Inventory", etc.[/b]
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Inventory - columns

Postby gaddlord » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:41 am

My suggestion what columns the inventory must include

Card Name - Black Lotus [The name of the card]
Edition - 4-th Edition [The name of the edition]
Qty - 10 [How many non-foil Black Lotus cards you have]
Foil Qty - 0 [How many foil cards you have]
My Selling Price - $480 [At what price I am selling]
My Bying Price - $350 [At what price I am buying]
Quality - mint [The quality of the card]
#Proxies - 10 [The number of proxies I have printed]
Need - 1 [How many of that card I need]

Any comments?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Inventory - user request

Postby gaddlord » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:54 am

1. Is it possible to make a have list. So you can keep track of your cards etc.

2. I have a lot of Magic cards and was wondering if this program can be used to organize my cards? What I mean is this:

Can I go through my cards and in your program say I have 3 of this card in real format and 6 of this this card in real format and son?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Phoebus » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:28 am

Forgive me but I fail to see the reason why a separate tool is needed. Why can't we use MTG Studio for this? I mean all of those features can be easily implemented into MTG Studio. The columns should be customized (you can add and remove whichever ones you want).

Since you can create multiple deck lists in MTG Studio, you can create one big, huge deck which basically contains ALL your cards and then create other, smaller ones that contain your playing cards. That's how I've been using it anyway. The only thing is that I can't increase the quantity to more than 4 but that's going to change I believe.

Two small suggestions. Add the option of one more column for 'Notes' (where a short note can be written) and also the ability to search for a card name within your currently active deck (I don't think the program has this function).

That's about it I think. :)

Cheers!
Phoebus
Phoebus
Apprentice

Inventory

Postby gaddlord » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:12 am

Forgive me but I fail to see the reason why a separate tool is needed.

The Inventory would not be a separate tool but a inbuild new feature. Is will include more information than a single deck has. The Inventory will contain your pricelists, the quality and the quantity of the card, the additional amount of cards you need, user, notes. Also special cross-table view for 2 dimensional distribution. Quantity - Quality - Price distribution. In the Inventory the SB (Sideboard column would not be visible). Believe me - you would like it.

The only thing is that I can't increase the quantity to more than 4 but that's going to change I believe.

Yes, already done in version 0.5.4. :wink:

Add the option of one more column for 'Notes' (where a short note can be written)

Excellent idea, it will be present in version 0.5.5

Also the ability to search for a card name within your currently active deck (I don't think the program has this function).

Version 0.5.4 has this functionality.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Highlight deck agains Inventory

Postby gaddlord » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:53 am

I suggest the cards in the deck to be highlighted agains the quantity of the cards available in the inventory

Dark Green - sufficient quantity
Light Green - the inventory has exactly the quantity needed
Yellow - not enought quantity
Red - you do not have even one of that card in the inventory

Lets assume that in your inventory you have
2 Black Lotus
4 Drudge Skeletons
1 Mox Jet

Than your deck will be highlighted as follows:
1 Black Lotus (you need 1, you have more)
4 Drudge Skeletons (you have exactly as much as you need)
4 Mox Jet (you need more than you have)
2 Lightnignbolt (you don't have any of that card at all)
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Inventory

Postby lonewolf » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:16 am

Inventory sounds fantastic and is the only reason I'd consider using the clumsy ugly, ad-littered Magic Workstation instead of Studio.

As a (rapidly-implementable ?) idea - how about being simply able to switch between the full list of all cards, and a list of all the cards you own ?

Then you could build deck(s) from only the cards you have...and play these in the real world.
lonewolf

Inventory related

Postby gaddlord » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:13 am

I like that idea of yours. :wink:

For now I consider the following deck building modes

All Cards -> Deck (build a deck from the card database. Currently available)
All Cards -> Inventory (build your own inventory)
Inventory -> Deck (build a deck from the cards in your inventory)

When the pricelist come perhaps there will be some other modes
All CArds -> Custom Pricelist
Pricelist -> Deck
Pricelist -> Inventory

Inventory sounds fantastic and is the only reason I'd consider using the clumsy ugly, ad-littered Magic Workstation instead of Studio.

I am very glad you like MTG Studio but I would like kindly to advise you to use a little bit more polite words when mentioning Magic Workstation. Thank you. (MWS can be considered the basis of MTG Studio. We were enspired by MWS to start MTG Studio development. Will MTG Studio "kill its master"? We will see :)
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:36 am

Q: Why the development of the Inventory(Collection) takes so long.
A: Currently I am working on many issues:

- the support for Hybrid(guild) cards

- completely rewrite the functionality for deck support (allowing MTGO binary and Text format)

- Support for Card of the Day MTG Studio inbuild information. (When you select a card you will be ably to view these funny notes from the card developers)

- Support for transparent hints over the cards showing the card rulings text with mana symbols displayed as images

- Support for new Tool called Artist Browser which will allow to see detailed information about the card artists (email, phone, mail, address) and being able to make a request for "signing the favourite cards" by the artist.

- New tool Legality Browser

Apart from these activities I am currently developing Java-based heavy application server which will allow ultra-thin Java Applet (called Necromancer) to connect to the Necromncer server and allow you to play agains online opponents. Since I have changed many languages (Object Pascal, C#, Java, Php) and many tehnologies XML-RPC, SOAP, TCP/IP, HTTP, Remoting and completely started the project 17!!! times, I am pretty sure now I am on the right direction - Ultra-Heavy Mtg Server with support for automatic rules checking and Ultra-Light (~20KB) Browser Client which will allow the user to play literally "any time he/she wants".

So that is why the "Collection" functionality is currently not present. But IT WILL BE THE NEXT NEW FEATURE TO COME
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:38 am

How do you like the idea of having the column
"MTGO Card Qty" - which will keep track of the number of MTG Online virtual cards you own.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gimmethemoneynow » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:54 am

Sounds great

Hope the inventory feature will be in there soon

Great tool btw, bought it yesterday
gimmethemoneynow
Apprentice

Inventory Notes

Postby TonyRoomZ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:15 am

I was wondering if you could add somewhere a column for "notes".

This is my reasoning. While I run around town with my buy and sell lists I have to make notes beyond prices. I often will write... things like.. "Shop is out" ... "Shop has 1, but not near mint".

I also could see the note field being used by others for things such as:

"Need this for X deck"
"Buy this ASAP"

I don't know how large I would make such a field.. I know that text fields make the database grow... But I am looking for some way to make MTG-Studio work more like I do :)

Until the Collection/Inventory features come out I have been simply making "decks" called Buy and Sell :) This works fine for now, but everything I have read makes me drool for the future :)

How's that auto-price feature coming along? Grabbing Price data from http://www.findmtgcards.com would rock. But I am sure that needs to go in another thread.

Thanks as always for listening to me ramble.
TonyRoomZ
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:20 pm

I was wondering if you could add somewhere a column for "notes".

This is generally a good idea. Its implementation on the other side is quite difficult since the program is designed in such a way not to allow user-editing of the card database.
This can be done in the future. For now you can use the not so user-friendly text file "notes.txt" in the installation folder of MTG Studio. Find the card by its name and add your notes below it.
NOTE: do not leave an empty line bwetween the card name and your comments.
NOTE: have in mind that installing a new version of MTG Studio will install the default Notes.txt file which comes with the installation. Keep a copy of your custom Notes.txt file.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Works for Me.

Postby TonyRoomZ » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 am

It may not be user friendly, but it definitely serves my immediate needs :) Thanks for the info.
TonyRoomZ
Apprentice

Postby Loki Stormrunner » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:34 pm

i believe this is the right place to say it and sorry if it has been said somewhere else but will there be a column or anything that will state what the card is supposed to be worth? like not only what you want to sell it for but what a card store would sell it as or something like that...
Loki Stormrunner

Next

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)