MTG Play card art

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

MTG Play card art

Postby Caputo Gianfry » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:20 am

Hi,
first of all, I would like to say it's a wonderful and very user-friendly program!

I would like to know (if possible) how did you make it: which language did you use? and which environment too ( i.e. Visual Studio etc...)?

And now, just an advice: i found this site www.mtgplay.com in which people can download zip archives containing full scans of card images. The problem is that the pics are called with a progressive number indicating the position in the database of Magic On Line. With the archive there's a file to load the cards information, including NUMBER --> CARD NAME. Why don't think of making an "MtgPlay DB Import"
button or just a "translator button" to rename the cards in the correct name...
I would like to do it, but i'm not expert in graphical programs, but only in Prompt command C programs...if you can advice me the language and the environment you used I could try to figure it out...

Thanks for your attention
Gianfry
Caputo Gianfry

MTG Play Card Art

Postby gaddlord » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:37 am

I would like to say it's a wonderful and very user-friendly program!

Thank you, Caputo. :wink:

I would like to know (if possible) how did you make it: which language did you use? and which environment too ( i.e. Visual Studio etc...)?

We are using Object Pascal language in Borland Delphi 7 environment. In my personal oppinion the language is not so important compared to the features the IDE (development environment) can offer you. The expressiveness of all nowadays languages is the same (which means everything written in Perl can be ported in List or C++ or VB.NET). What really counts is the dvelopment time, cost of the product, the program scope and quality. These four notions are the basic "decission makers" when choosing a language (and whats more) the environment. I myself prefer using Borland Delphi and Visual Studio .NET. I am also really impressed of the IBM Eclipse Java development platform. So,... the answer to your question is - use whatever language you like but choose wisely the environment. The language syntax, specifics and classes (if any) can be learned in few weeks, but what you are about you use in years is the IDE (development environment). Borland, Microsoft and IBM products are the best (IMHO) for Windows development. Good luck. :wink:

Why don't think of making an "MtgPlay DB Import"

As a matter of fact the MTG Play Card Art identifiers (progressive number indicating the position in the database) are taken from MTGIE (Magic the Gathering Interactive Encyclopedia). MTG Studio 0.5.4 will support MTGIE Card Art which respectively means MTG Play card art. Hooray for MTG Studio! :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)