Tools for online gaming

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Tools for online gaming

Postby Napalm » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi everybody !

Firstly, thanks for the good work.

I've already tested mtg studio at it's beginning, and i wasn't very enthusiasted. But when i tried the last version, i was very surprised ! The 1.00 version rocks, tons of change since the old ones, that's a very good thing.
And i like to see you listenning to your users in this forum, so keep up the good work h?h?.

I'm really waiting for the online play and all the upcoming things.

So here is the thing i would like to see in the upcoming releases (even in a long time, i'm not in hurry):

-Sealed deck generator. You enter the name of the booster/starters you want to get, and it generate the cards with the correct ratio of rare etc.
-Sealed draft for online play: same thing as above, but players pickup cards one by one to make their own deck.

The thing i'm really missing in Magic the gathering right now is the oldschool leagues: play with your friends with a few pack of cards, with ante and things like this. Of course we can still play like this, but to do it with legends and unlimited, you gotta be rich ! So online gaming can offer it again.

Regarding this, i'm thinking about making a website where people play in league, have their virtual cards collections, trade etc. But you know what is the worse: cheaters and people who always want to win instead of just having fun. So here is an idea that may sound crazy but that could be very useful:

A selead deck generator where you put the login and password of the mysql data base of a website, the login/pass of a user, an administrator pass or something, and when you generate the sealed decks, the card collection is published in the account of the user (i don't ask you to host this of course, but developping a website and a an empty database is not so hard for everybody, compared to developping a website which do this alone). Right now i'm trying to do a site which do this alone without any tool, but i'm a beginner so it will be very long...

Or maybe more simple, an MTG studio irc bot, you enter the server and channel, it cames, and you can ask him to generate sealed deck etc.

And the last: i've read that someone wanted an ia to play with, yes it want this too :D (but well, there is too much cards to make something really intelligent i know).

Thanks again for this suggestion forum.
Napalm
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:28 am

I've already tested mtg studio at it's beginning, and i wasn't very enthusiasted. But when i tried the last version, i was very surprised ! The 1.00 version rocks, tons of change since the old ones, that's a very good thing.

Thank you, Napalm.

Sealed deck generator. You enter the name of the booster/starters you want to get, and it generate the cards with the correct ratio of rare etc.

For quite some time I was thinking of implementing such feature but I was not sure whether it is usefully or not. Since you are the first to ask for it I may consider implementing it. It would not be a feature so hard to implement.

Sealed draft for online play: same thing as above, but players pickup cards one by one to make their own deck.

Please explain me in more details how you think this can be achieved, how it is done in real life. I am not a very common player, you know.

Regarding this, i'm thinking about making a website where people play in league, have their virtual cards collections, trade etc.

Perhaps I would think of making such site too - but it is a lot of work and I suppose not so well rewarded(paid) compared to making an online multiplayer.

And the last: i've read that someone wanted an ia to play with, yes it want this too Very Happy (but well, there is too much cards to make something really intelligent i know).

You are right - making an AI for Magic is a task "almost" impossible to achieve. I am not saying that it can not be done. It certainly can be done as we currently have seen two programs which play alright agains computer (Shandalar, Magma). The problem is that these programs are so difficult to support that even companies like Microprose drop such projects. And we all know who Microprose were (remeber Civilization). At the moment I am not willing to deal with Magic AI at all. Right now all my thoughts are concentrated on making an MTG Online equivalent.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Napalm » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:48 pm

Yeah, and nothing can beat a human player, sometimes stupid idea surprise you and can kill you :P (and hard to beat Microprose if you're alone too !)

Draft tournament is when players open some pack of cards, and the 1st player take one card, the second an other, untill there is no cards left in the booster, then they open another booster...
Of course each player can add basic lands to complete his deck, and the limit of draft deck is different: 40 instead of 60.

Quote from wizards official site:
The most common type of draft is booster draft. With booster draft, all the drafters (usually eight, but numbers can vary) sit around a table and open one of three booster packs. Often the three packs are from a given block like Champions, Betrayers, and Saviors or as many as the block has released with the base set filling holes like Ravnica, Ravnica, and Guildpact in a few months. The players look at their pack, pick one card, and then pass the remaining cards to the left. That is repeated until the pack is gone, and then the second pack is opened, and the process repeats except the cards pass to the right. The final pack passes back to the left. Then players add basic lands of their choice and construct 40-card decks

That kind of game ensure a better skill to win than just get a killer deck, or the pure luck of sealed deck.

For the site, i think that you're right too, maybe a lot of efforts for not a lot of things. Perhaps just some anti cheat tools for little league play, for exemple a special "league decks" crypted or something to avoid adding/removing cards without the consent of some of the other members in the league.

A normal good multiplayer system with the ante option and sideboard, it would be quite enough anyway :D

Again thanks for your work & your time.
Napalm
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:10 am

1. Regarding the Sealed Deck Generator:

I decided such tool to be made and here is a teaser screenshot of it.

It is not finished yet and perhpas will be excluded from the forthcoming release MTG Studio 1.1. I am in a hurry to beta test it as soon as possible and release it soon.

2. Regarding Drafts (Booster, Roachester):
I intend to start working on multiplayer with inbuild rule checks. My plans are

Development Phases:

1. make a thin secure network layer for easy communication between unlimited number of users over TCP/IP
2. make a rendering engine for card visualization, fade effects, drag and drops, automatic card arrangement on board
3. make a protocol for communication between the multiplayers which runs over the TCP/IP secured layer
4. make a MTG Business Logic Engine which checks for the correctness of the user actions and automatics (You tap a land, automatically mana is added to the mana pool, etc.)
5. First implement the mana producers, vanilla creatures, simple instants and some sorceries
6. implement creatures with activated abilities
7. implement cards with static abilities
8. implement cards with triggered abilities
9. by the end of this pahse approximatelly 3'000 cards will be available and ready for play

====

Other Development Phases

10. add support for the rest more complicated cards
11. add support for tournaments
12. add booster drafts
13. add roachester drafts
14. add play in pairs
15. add play Emperor
16. add Melee combat mode
17. add solitarie play
18. add ability to watch duel
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Napalm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:35 pm

Wow, that's great !
Keep up the amazing work :D
I'll register my copy at the end of the month to support the developpement btw.

I didn't event expected an online play that respected the rules, thanks again \o/
Napalm
Apprentice

Postby numskully » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:50 am

looking good!

sealed deck games are very fun.
numskully
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:26 am

Unfortunatelly Sealed Deck didn't make it for this version of MTG Studio. A little more testing was required.

But the next version will have Sealed Deck Generator included. :wink: :cry:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby numskully » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:44 pm

thanks for the great program gad!

maybe the best $9 I have ever spent.

you thinking of putting in draft games?
numskully
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:01 pm

First I will try to implement one VS one multiplayer, and after that deal with drafts, two-headed giants, emperor and such. :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby AyalasKin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:39 am

"10. add support for the rest more complicated cards "

dont forgot the Wishes, like Cunning Wish,
becaus it uses the sideboard

17. add solitarie play
18. add ability to watch duel

great great \o/

good work

mtgs ftw
AyalasKin
Apprentice

AI Draft?!!

Postby lewis_ctr » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:26 pm

Hey, I noticed you mentioned an AI draft in one of your other posts; that sounds amazing. Is it only going to be for online play? Or will it have solitaire functionality much like the one at http://magic.tcgplayer.com/draft/? That would be awesome if it was. The Draft simulator at TCGplayer.com would be good if the AI was a little better and if there weren't so many rares! I think something like that would be an amazing addition to MTG Studio! Are you planning on implementing something like this?

Can you explain to me a little bit more about your AI draft that you are working on?

MTG Studio is the best program out there and from what I've read of the features you plan to add in the future it is going to be phenomenal!!! Great work! :D
lewis_ctr
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:42 pm

An interesting AI Draft I idea I saw at http://www.n4te.com/dev/games/mtgo/draft/
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby lewis_ctr » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Yes, something like that would be really good! Where you can customize the set and the AI's drafting style, then save the deck you drafted and then test it in solitaire mode or online!

Will MTG studio have a feature like this eventually?
lewis_ctr
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:13 pm

The drafting will be the last thing to be done in the MTG Suite. It requires all the other modules to be present before hand - card pool, online connection between 8 playes, solitarie play. Sorry to say that but do not expect AI draft soon.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)