MTG opening screen

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

MTG opening screen

Postby Bluespikes » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:54 pm

I just want to say that I don`t really like the opening image of MTG Studio (looks like an hand with a ring and only four fingers).............I`d like to see something refering to Magic the gathering: an image of the last edition, or a creature who is known to all, etc. .Of course, that`s only my opinion, and I`m sure that at least someone here thinks the opposite, so you can do what you want with that! :wink:
Go Freedom Fighters!
Bluespikes
Mage
Mage

Postby 1stPhoenixPaw » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:27 pm

Hmm...
The missing finger was the finger -the- ring was forged for, but since that pesky Isildor cut off the finger... well, then you wear -the- ring on another finger, no?

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go ask a librarian about Tolkien...
1stPhoenixPaw
Apprentice

Postby Bluespikes » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:35 am

Uh, I know what you're talking about, and not because of the movies; I read LOTR books. This hand (in a proper way) should be invisible due to the ring, and it looks like a dead hand. Anyway, that's no big deal, but if it is a reference to LOTR................I like it! :)
Go Freedom Fighters!
Bluespikes
Mage
Mage

Postby 1stPhoenixPaw » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:16 pm

Well... I'm not sure the rings forger turned invisible when he wore it...
I haven't read my Silmarillion (a shame I know...)
Anyway, I see the hand and ring as something (at least) hinting at LotR.
1stPhoenixPaw
Apprentice

Requirments

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:49 pm

Well... I'm not sure the rings forger turned invisible when he wore it...

What do i need to get this to work? :wink:

Postby cpprules » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:11 am

i think that fingerless hand looks cool, i just don't know what it means.
does it symbolize something???
cpprules
Mage
Mage

The meaning of the hand

Postby gaddlord » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:25 am

Hehe. Hi guys.

Here is the story about the hand. Our company started with coding some small games for PalmOS. Since we wanted some Palm related name for our company we picked PalmROOT (which happens to be the wrist of a hand). Time passed and I liked the name more and more (just got used to it).
On August 14, 2003 I decided t start working on a Magic Workstation equivalent. A friend of mine asked me if I can crack Magic Workstation and I immediately answered "I will not crack it but can make a better one.". That's how it all started. I have had lots of experience in Magic since 1998 (Played a lot Shandalar). It was the first game which took my attention for more than an hour. I played Shandalar for weeks. Since than there are only two games I have ever played Shandalar and Mordor. I am more a developer than a gamer.

The first versions of MTG Studio had the logo of Magic: the Gathering as a splashscreen. After a sperious negotiations with the Wizards of the Coast law department it was inevitable and I removed their logo. I wanted to make out own logo which is easy to remeber and not just a "reprint" of some card. The hand turned to be matching for the "palm-root" idea.

Now for the missing finger. The five fingers are the five magic colors
Thump - Green
Index - Red
Middle finger - Black
The finger with no name - Blue (the missing one)
Little Finger - White

I just liked the idea to have a missing finger. And when asked which finger I can allow to lose it was the "finger with no name". Why colors are associated in this order? Because I am was a firm mono Red player and recently a Boros fan. Being such I personally dislike the Control style whose primary color is ... - Blue. The missing finger is the finger with Blue color asociated - so I "chopped" it off. :wink:

Please accept all my appologiez fo chopping the "Blue" finger but this was a decission which I had to take and I took it. Let all control players forgive me but I was really [CENSORED] with that "Stasis" - one of the cards which made me curse like hell in the old times of magic. :wink:

As for the ring it is just there. I am not saying that this is "the precious" one. It is just there. There is a card in Magic I think where a hand with a ring on the middle finger is present. Can you find it out?
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby RNCybergate » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:44 am

I just want to say that I don`t really like the opening image of MTG Studio (looks like an hand with a ring and only four fingers).............

I`m sure that at least someone here thinks the opposite

You are right, I do think the opposite :wink:

What ever you do, do not change the hand...it is the "Symbol" of MTGS.
(MTGS Symbol of Power) 8)

Every time I see the hand I just have to stop to admire at it.

In a few years time, history will have it that: "this is the hand which ruled the rest!" :lol:
RNCybergate
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:06 am

The Hand stays. :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby RNCybergate » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Think of the hand as the "hand of the five powers!"

5...okay, 4 1/2 fingers...one for each magic colour.

{W} {U} {R} {G} {B} .

Might be nice to think of it this way. :wink:
RNCybergate
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby lombas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 am

well, I imagine that If somebody really wanted to change the spashscreen image, he could change it only on his coppy of the software.

This could be done if the image is a simple jpg in a folder or something like that.
lombas
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:41 am

Changing the splash screen is not possible being part of the brand. Any particular reason you do not like the crippeled {U} finger?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby lombas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am

No, no, I actually like it :-) hehe

Just tried to please the guy that started the topic, although I see now tha t this topic is from 2005 hahahahha
lombas
Mage
Mage

Postby Schwanke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:06 pm

I kinda found the hand disgusting when I first saw it but I guess its not much worse then some of the black cards in mtg itself. I got used to it though.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby shmebula » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:08 am

Ah, I always thought it was the shocker.
shmebula

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)